Claire Danes Biography

Date of Birth
12 April 1979, New York City, New York, USA

Birth Name
Claire Catherine Danes

Height
5' 5½" (1.66 m)


Claire Danes Biography



New Yorker Claire Danes is that the youngest daughter of Carla, a day-care supplier and artist and Christopher, a pc consultant and photographer. She has an older brother known as Asa. She was educated at Dalton faculty, New York, The the big apple town Lab faculty for Collaborative Studies, The skilled Performing Arts faculty and Lycée Français de la. From 1998 she attended Yale University, finding out psychology, however dropped out once 2 years to think about her acting career.

Danes 1st came to major public attention when she appeared as Angela Chase in "My So-Called Life". She won an Emmy nomination and a Golden Globe award for this performance. A successful film career followed as well as the role of Juliet opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet (1996). once creating Brokedown Palace (1999), Danes took a clear stage from her acting career to complete her education at Yale. She came to the screen in 2002 and continued acting in such varied project because the Hours (2002), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) and Stardust (2007).

In 2010 she appeared within the HBO Production "Temple Grandin", enjoying the title character. She received huge crucial popularity of the role, and won an Emmy, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance.

Spouse
Hugh Dancy (September 2009 - present)

Trivia



Completed two years at Yale University pursuing a degree in psychology however never finished (2002)

Chosen by "People" magazine in concert of the fifty most lovely individuals within the world. [1997]

Flew to L.A. for the casting of Schindler's List (1993), once she was discovered for the role in "My So-Called Life" (1994). Steven Spielberg finally gave her the role however had to show it down, as a result of they weren't willing to offer her tutoring in Poland.

Was banned from the Philippines in Sept 1998, for creating derogatory remarks regarding the country. The President of the Philippines condemned her publicly.

Auditioned for the role of Lisa in lady, Interrupted (1999).

Was thought-about for the title role in Lolita (1997).

Auditioned and was the primary alternative for the role of Rose in Titanic (1997).

Once said in an exceedingly self-importance honest article that at university, she is curious about psychology, philosophy, and art history.

The most frequently used title for articles regarding her has been "Great Danes".

Has a minimum of four songs written regarding her. The Ataris' "My thus referred to as Life" (album: "Look Forward to Failure" EP), Size 14's "Claire Danes Poster" (self-titled album), "The 5 Mile Line"'s "Claire Danes" ("Busride Home" demo) and "Claire Danes", a low-fi indi ballad by "John Parker Music" that was released on Subversive Records restricted in 2004.

Parents are Chris & Carla Danes.

Attended the Lee Strasberg Theater Institute.

Is the younger of 2 children.

Has an older brother, Asa.

Attended the Professional Performing Arts High School in New York City. Other alumni include singer/dancer/actress Britney Spears, actor Lee Thompson Young and actor/singer/dancer Chris Trousdale.

Her letter of recommendation to Yale University was written by Oliver Stone, her director on U Turn (1997).

Grew up in SoHo.



Her mother is an artist while her father is a photographer.

Her mother ran a daycare center out of their Soho loft called Danes Tribe.

Started studying modern dance at the age of six. She played a "duck" in an avant-garde production involving stilt-walkers.

She and Billy Crudup became a couple during the filming of Stage Beauty (2004).

Broke up with Ben Lee after beginning a relationship with Billy Crudup

Loves watching "The Golden Girls" (1985) reruns.

Her older brother is a corporate lawyer.

Is mentioned in actor Canyon Prince's song "Life" from his 2003 album "Live and Funked Up".

She turned down the role of "Rose" in Titanic (1997) as she had just finished working with Leonardo DiCaprio on Romeo + Juliet (1996). Though she described working with him on that film as a "treat", she admitted in an interview later that if she had accepted the role in Titanic (1997), she would not have been able to get away from him.

Very close friends with actor Jason Schwartzman.

Baz Luhrmann, Danes' director for Romeo + Juliet (1996), referred to her as "the Meryl Streep of her generation".

Briefly attended the junior high section of the New York City Lab School from 1991-1992. Nick Valensi (guitarist, The Strokes), Charlie Hofheimer (actor, Black Hawk Down (2001)), and Max Lugavere (self, Current TV) graduated from the high school section of the same school in 1998, 1999, and 2000, respectively. It is a small public school.

Awarded the Nova Award at the 2007 Maui film Festival.

As of Fall 2008 is the exclusive model for Gucci Jewelry, succeeding Drew Barrymore.

Engaged to Hugh Dancy. They met on the set of Evening (2007). [February 2009]

Grew up with Zac Posen and Julia Stiles.

Married Hugh Dancy in France [September 2009].

Both Claire and her husband, Hugh Dancy, have played characters with Asperger's Syndrome, Claire in HBO's Temple Grandin (2010) (TV) and Hugh in Adam (2009/I).

Was in attendance at the wedding of Mamie Gummer to Benjamin Walker (16 July 2011).

Named Harvard University's 2012 Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year [January 23, 2012].

Personal Quotes



[on co-star Kate Beckinsale and hoping to become friends] That was wrong. We didn't. She's difficult. She's prickly.

I live in an adult world, however i am a child. i really like the work. however I now not have a bunch of friends to hold out with frequently.

[on education vs. career] i used to be told that my about to faculty would not be sensible for my career. i believe that is nonsense. It's sensible to empower yourself by cutting yourself faraway from this business each once during a whereas.

I have a large, active imagination, [and] i believe i am very petrified of being alone; as a result of if i am left to my very own devices, i am going to simply develop into a madwoman.

My line concerning [Arnold Schwarzenegger] is that he does not get in his own manner. he's not apologetic concerning achieving his goals. And after you have that angle, it's superb what one will accomplish. He wished to grant me relationship recommendation. i used to be having hassle with a girlfriend, and he said, "Be very forthright and don't accommodate her desires excessively". I took his recommendation and we're not friends anymore. therefore there you go.

[on Stage Beauty (2004)] i used to be intimidated. There was the accent, the amount of the film, and that i had to act badly. I kept laughing throughout those scenes as a result of i used to be god-awful. I've worked therefore laborious to be sensible, and currently I had to figure even more durable to be unhealthy.

It's very tough to evaluate yourself. Extreme self-doubt is just engaging when it's fictionalized. that is why folks love the flicks. they're therefore reassuring.

I had an unwavering focus. My folks never condescended to me. As a child, I forever sat at the pinnacle of our dinner table. i used to be forever given plenty of responsibility. it had been all rather superb once I suppose it currently.

I was a awfully assured kid. I knew I wished to be an actress from the age of five. Madonna was my original muse -- around five, I saw her perform on TV, and that i realized that performing can be one's vocation. Then, at 7 or 8, i spotted that the majority actors do not create plenty of cash, and that i amended my set up. But at 9, I seized my destiny. I created a proper announcement to my folks that I had to be true to my art. cash or no cash, acting is my calling.

I never thought of myself as a toddler actor. I knew i used to be a child, however they weren't connected. There was nothing I may do concerning being a child, and meanwhile i used to be an actress, and that i had one thing to mention in my acting.

I think that everyone desires to form, to try to to one thing that feels real and kinetic and spontaneous. i believe actors wish to surprise themselves. When it's specific, you reasonably transcend yourself, which happens occasionally. Very, terribly rarely. you may get one or 2 of these moments on a movie, say, and typically they do not even use the takes where that happens. and i am not very that moralistic concerning how you get there.

[12/21/05, on having children] i'd prefer to have a family, however i am making an attempt to not create any plans, as a result of once I do, everything goes wrong.

[nn her notorious swimsuit scene in To Gillian on Her thirty seventh Birthday (1996)] i am going to never wear a thong once more. i am a Speedo gal.

[on her non-stop work schedule] sometimes, my social life and my sanity and my health are the items that are sacrificed.

The point of acting is to share, to connect. that is why I act. Acting is that the greatest answer to my loneliness that I even have found.

I think folks confuse fame with validation or love. however fame isn't the reward. The reward is obtaining fulfilment out of doing the factor you like.

On husband Hugh Dancy: he is such a cutie patootie. whereas relationships are work, this simply did not feel adore it. it is the reasonably work that feels energizing instead of enervating. I notice it terribly liberating to grasp that, okay, it takes constant nurturing and a spotlight, however I can even stop searching for the one.
[on Steve Martin] He's a great, great fucking weirdo.

Salary
The Mod Squad (1999) $2,000,000